Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A little knol-edge

Google blogs went live today with a brand new tool called "knols," which allows you to create a basic information webpage on a topic of your choice and then get input from other people to refine it. It's essentially the same idea as Wikipedia, but you have a little more control over your own personal entries rather than having them published into the whole Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The timing is perfect, because I've been thinking about creating information pages for each of our main volunteer programs, so that people who are interested in volunteering can browse through them for ideas about what they'd like to do.

So, as a trial run, I created a "knol" for our Meadow Rover program. You can review it here, and contribute any comments you'd like. Let me know how well it works and I'll incorporate your suggestions into future versions. If you'd like to contribute content, for either this entry or entries on other volunteer opportunities, I think we can do that, too. Eventually, I envision a whole list of common volunteer opportunities in the righthand column of this page.

No comments: