Volunteers would be asked to hike 3 popular trails in the park to destinations like Comet Falls, Summerland, and Spray Park (3-4 hour round trip hikes). Along the trail, volunteers would record the number and time they passed each park visitor. Volunteers would be required to spend a set amount of time at the destination (likely around 20 - 30 minutes) and then asked to record the number and time they pass visitors on their return to the trailhead.
We need approximately 12 - 15 people for this project. Due to a desire for consistent data, preference will be given to folks that can commit to hiking 6 or more surveys (trails to destination and back) on a variety of days.
- Diligence in accurately recording encounters
- Faithful and timely return of clearly recorded data
- The ability to hike in the manner of a "average visitor" (sorry, no trail running)
- You will be able to pre-select dates
- The ability to fulfill the hiking project in sub-optimal weather (days deemed unsafe for travel will be re-scheduled)
- Ability to begin survey at a set time and location (trailhead)
- Ability to coordinate with Natural and Cultural Resources staff to sign the needed Volunteer paperwork
If you are able to fulfill the above description and are interested in Hiking with a Purpose! we would love to talk to you. Please send an email and describe your interest, schedule flexibility and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your help!
[Is this the perfect volunteer job or what? - editor]