To: National Leadership Council
From: Chief, Office of Policy
Subject: Review of Director's Order #7: Volunteers-in-Parks
The subject Director’s Order--which will supersede and replace the previous version approved by Director Mainella on , 2005--is attached for your [internal] review and comment for a 45-day period, ending .In FY 2012, 257,000 volunteers contributed 6.78 million hours of service to the National Park Service (NPS). This contribution was valued at $21.79 per hour, for a total value of $148 million, equivalent to 3,260 FTEs.
This edition updates the 2005 Order as follows:
- The Volunteers-in-Parks program is now administered by the Associate Director, Interpretation and Education.
- Volunteer reimbursement procedures have been updated as a result of IRS audit findings and newly obtained information on volunteers and travel procedures, in such a way that reimbursements do not create tax liabilities for volunteers.
- NPS volunteer agreement forms have been eliminated and replaced with an interagency volunteer agreement form, OF 301A.
- HSPD-12 [Homeland Security Presidential Directive #12] information has been added with guidance for the conduct of background investigations. Volunteer fee collectors operating a fee booth or station with a point-of-sales system will now be required to undergo an MBI background investigation.
- Qualified volunteers will now be allowed to apply pesticides.
The draft Order is the subject of a Federal Register notice published on September 26, 2014, inviting comment from the public for a 30-day period.Joy Pietschmann, the Service-wide VIP Program Manager, will field any comments or questions about the attached Order. She can be contacted at email@example.com or 202-513-7141.
The draft Order is available online at:http://www.nps.gov/policy/
For comparison, the existing (active) Director's Order can be found at http://www.nps.gov/policy/DOrders/DO-7.htm.