Our biggest volunteer day of the year is just a day and a half away now! Plans are coming together to offer a wide variety of projects suitable for everyone. Here's a summary of what's happening:
Saturday September 27, 2014
- All Day: Entrance fees are waived in all National Parks! Working volunteers will receive a fee free certificate that can be used at any national park on a different date.
- 8:00 a.m. (Longmire): Registration, by the National Parks Conservation Association, will begin at their tent in front of the Transportation Exhibit, between the bathroom and the National Park Inn.
- 9:00 a.m. (Longmire): Welcome by the Acting Superintendent and Volunteer Program Manager, followed by the introduction of project crew leaders.
- 9:00 a.m. (Sunrise): Crew leaders will meet planting volunteers in front of the Sunrise Visitor Center.
- 3:00 p.m.: Most work will wrap up mid to late afternoon. However, if you need to leave earlier, that's O.K. too -- just let your crew leader know.
- Partly sunny. Freezing level near 9500 feet. (That's about as perfect as a September work day can get!)
- Skyline Trail
Location: Skyline Trail between the Visitor Center and Alta Vista
Project: Finalizing and cleaning up a trail project that has been going on all summer
- Paradise Trail Winterization
Location: Trails above Paradise, including Deadhorse Creek and Skyline
Project: Taking down ropes, bringing in rebar, and preparing trails for the coming snow
- Narada Falls Trail
Location: Between Narada Falls and the Wonderland Trail
Project: Building a turnpike with the Washington Trails Association for a muddy section of trail
- Longmire Campground Winterization
Location: Longmire Stewardship Campground
Project: Taking down platform tents and storing them for the winter; scattering storm debris; stacking and storing firewood; and otherwise preparing the campground for winter
- Longmire Landscaping
Location: LongmireProject: Remove alders and conifers growing within 18-24 inches of the rock-lined trails throughout Longmire
- Sunrise Campground Restoration
Location: 1 mile hike from Sunrise Visitor Center
Project: Planting native plants in the old Sunrise Campground
Note: Meet for this project at 9:00 a.m. in the Sunrise Parking Lot
- Have a safe, fun day contributing to the stewardship of our National Park!
- Finish up some important work and prepare the park for the coming winter
- Improve trails and meadows for the enjoyment of visitors