We have finally entered the National Park Service's Centennial Year! I'm sure you may have heard a word or two about the Centennial this year, and one of the nationwide goals is to engage communities through volunteerism. Well, I know that I am preaching to the choir here, but volunteers are really what make the NPS work, especially here at Mount Rainier. So, we have a new incentive just for 2016 that may be of interest to you!
Registered volunteers who contribute 201.6 hours of service between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 can earn a Centennial Volunteer Challenge Coin!
Here's how it all works:
- Recipients must be registered national park volunteers.
- Centennial Volunteer Challenge Coins are issued for hours served between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only.
- Court-ordered community service does NOT qualify.
- Volunteers must track their own hours and provide dates, hours served, and a brief description of the service provided.
- Service must be approved and verified by the program manager.
- Only hours served during the 12 month period of the centennial year will count towards the award.