Monday, December 29, 2014

A Note from Jeffrey Mayor

Tacoma News Tribune columnist Jeffrey Mayor has often featured stories from this blog in his reporting. On this occasion, we reciprocate with an excerpt from his article "Thanks, goodbyes to distinguished adventurers." Jeff acknowledges one of our own volunteers, saying:

Finally, Amy Mann deserves far more than a tip of the cap.

For 10 years, she has helped the hikers in the South Sound find a place to go each week as the author of The News Tribune's "Hike of the Week" feature. Amy told us a few months ago that she felt it was time to step down, and we sadly accepted her decision.

Amy has been a delight to work with. When we started the Adventure section in 2004, I don't think Amy or I realized how popular the hiking feature would prove.

As her editor, I can say that Amy was someone who never pushed the deadline envelope. She would produce her stories in batches, keeping us ready to go months in advance. It was a trait I always appreciated.

We have come up with a plan to continue the hiking feature, but I will miss having the opportunity to work with and talk to Amy.

I think I might speak for the staff of Mount Rainier National Park when I add, "Thank you, Amy, for all the good press you gave us over the years. You brought many people to the Park who might not have otherwise visited us without your literary enticements. You have been a great representative." ~Crow

No comments: